Graduate Student Award Competition
October 16, 2020
The Center for Policy Studies/Democracy Institute (CPS/DI) invites graduates and current students to reflect, analyze and share innovative ideas on topics related to civil society’s role, voice and participation in shaping Roma equality policies, with special attention to civil society monitoring mechanisms. The graduate student paper competition builds on the rich knowledge acquired through the Roma Civil Monitor (RCM) pilot project, and it aims to further enhance that knowledge by providing space to the Central European University’s graduates and students to produce scholarly analyses on the Roma integration and monitoring mechanisms.
The competition is open to alumni who graduated in the last five academic years (2016-2020) and currently enrolled students in degree and non-degree programs (Master, PhD, Roma Graduate Preparation Program) within the Central European University.
Possible topics and key questions that may be considered, but not limited to:
- Debates and experiences concerning the role of civil society in participating in the policy process for Roma equality, with special attention to monitoring policy performances;
- How does critical policy monitoring contribute to empowering civil society in general, and specifically in the case of RCM?
- How does RCM compare to other human rights shadow monitoring mechanisms in Europe and beyond?
- What new ideas has the RCM mechanism brought for reforming or fundamentally changing the European Framework and the National Roma integration strategies?
- What is the contribution of RCM to wider transnational advocacy activities of Roma and pro-Roma civil society?
Outline submission deadline: 30 October 2020
Detailed research plan submission deadline: 15 November 2020
Final paper submission deadline: 15 January 2021
Awards: January 2021
Applicants for the paper competition should follow the guidelines included in the detailed call and submit the respective requirements by email at email@example.com. For any further information contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Detailed Call for Papers: Graduate Student Award Competition (Download)